Sunday 24 November 2013

Alcohol, a Spa Day and My Dodgy Knee

Hi guys,

So recently I have been having a very strange reaction to alcohol. I don't drink often and when I do I tend to have a glass or two and leave it there. Every now and again I will go out with the girls, really let my hair down and enjoy more than a few but I can equally go months without any alcohol at all.
Since having Margaret I have had a very weird reaction after drinking. It doesn't happen every time and has happened after drinking a variety of drinks (white wine, cider & malibu). About half an hour after drinking my face flushes bright red and becomes very hot, my cheeks feel almost puffy and tight, like they are swollen. To look at me I just look very red but it also makes me feel a bit weird and almost agitated. Like I said, it's not every time and the reaction goes down over the course of a few hours but it is very strange indeed. My medication has not changed and I am not drinking anything new. The only difference is Maragret. I have had various suggestions over Twitter from fellow Crohnies/Ostomates, with many others experiencing different or odd reactions. Some suggest it may be down to dehydration.; this would make sense due to my dehydration since Margie.
If anyone out there has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Having a reaction not only makes me feel a bit wobbly and concerned but is not at all attractive!


Me, three hours after initial reaction. 

This week has been pretty tough, for lots of reasons.
I have however been very busy. I decided to stop my childminding work; it was five days a week for around five hours a day & I could no longer keep on top of it all as well as Uni. It's a shame, but I really do need to concentrate on my degree - that's the most important thing right now.
I have a deadline coming up in the next week or so, so Uni work is keeping me extremely busy. I have been driving in quite a lot in the past week for tutorials and for full use of the library. I think I am on top of everything... for now at least.
I have been seeing a lot of my friends recently including seeing The Hunger Games: Catching fire - which was amazing! I am in fact, going back to see it again, I loved it that much.

As I said my life is very stressful at the moment and my wonderful Dad booked me and Mum a spa day to try and ease away all the stresses and worries. When I was very poorly, Mum and I spoke about all the nice things we would do once I was better and a spa day was our main idea. Since Margie I have been incredibly busy and we haven't had a chance to book it until now. I woke up bright and early Saturday and headed to an amazing 4* Spa only 10 minutes down the road. I have been various times before and have always had an amazing time. When we arrived we had to fill out a lengthy health questionnaire; of course it took me a horribly long time to fill it out, writting down surgeries, medication, allergies and health conditions.
We lounged around for a few hours, round the pool, in the sauna and in the jacuzzi. It felt amazing to just relax and not have to think. It was so restful I can't tell you! I even got in a few lengths, which I really enjoyed. We had a welcome fruit smoothie and I had a cheeky bacon sarnie whilst we sat round the pool. At 12:30 Mum and I headed upstairs for our treatments; Mum had opted for a facial whilst I had a neck, back and shoulder massage. It was absolutely amazing. I could have easily fallen asleep as I lead down on this warm bed, with the most relaxing music playing. According to the beauty therapist my shoulders were very tight, something I am not surprised about. Our treatments were followed by a delicious, healthy lunch of Moroccan couscous, mixed pepper frittata, rocket salad and fruit tart. I had the loveliest time with Mum and it really broke up a challenging and stressful week.



Swimming some lengths has inspired me to join a leisure centre and start swimming more regularly. I am keen to join a gym and exercise properly but unfortunately the dreaded knee is playing up. Now as any old readers will know I have had an awful time with my poor, arthritic knee. In the past two weeks or so it has been playing up once again. Although there is no obvious swelling, my knee is still really quite sore and a bit stiff. I am keeping an eye on it and applying anti inflammatory cream as much as I can. I am hoping this isn't a sign of things to come or that it is going to be a recurrent issue. But I guess, we will just have to see.

Lots of love
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment