Sunday 21 July 2013

Best Bloggers & an Update


Hi Guys

So, as I said way back when I first started Gift of the Gab (2months ago-ish) I am a big lover of blogs. I am secretly, or not so secretly, pretty nosy and love reading about what other people are up to.
As I missed my Wednesday post, here is my Wednesday list of my top blogs. Some are Crohn's based and some are fashion and lifestyle based. Enjoy! 
In no particular order...


Incredibly brave 22 year old woman who is conquering breast cancer. Her blog is heart warming and so honest, it really makes you realise what is important in life. 

Rumi Neely posts images of her outfit choices as she travels.

A young stroke victim who blogs amazingly about her battle to recover from an awful event. Her blog is more of an ongoing story rather than your typical blog posts but is one of my favourites.

I only recently found this blog but LOVE the way it is laid out. It is so crisp and easy to navigate. 

Another brilliant fashion blog, focusing on street style from round the world.

I found Tanya Burr about a year ago and think she is brilliant. She has a blog as well as two vlog's one is make up and beauty and the other is candid videos about her life. 

This is Steph's wonderful blog. As I have said before, it was the first 'stoma' blog that I found and it will always remain a firm favourite.

Rachel (The Stoma Bag Lady) blogs and vlogs about her journey with her stoma Winnie. She had her op about 6 weeks before me and is trying to complete 101 things with her new partner in crime! 


So I have begun writting this post whilst babysitting. Something I haven't been able to do in a long, long time. At the moment I am unable to have a full or part time job so it feels great to earn some money! I also love working with children. I have always battled with the idea of becoming a teacher but decided to pursue my fashion dream first. I would love to be a primary school teacher or to work with special needs or disabled children. For the past few years I have worked, helping a family with two autistic boys and a toddler. I love working with them and it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. 


My beautiful view whilst babysitting

Yesterday marked 6 weeks since my op! The big 6 week mark has been reached! 
When people talk about recovery and goals it always seemed to be that up until 6 weeks things can be tough but from then on you should be able to start getting your normal life back. 
The most exciting thing I can now do is once again drive. I cant tell you how excited and happy this makes me. I learnt to drive four and half years ago and right from passing my test had access to a car, this has meant I am very used to being able to head off whenever I fancy. I am very independent and have hated having to rely on others to get around and not being able to just get out the house and away when I wanted to. There are two reasons why I was unable to drive, the first being I had just had major abdominal surgery. My stomach was sore and I had a wound, this made it virtually impossible to have a seatbelt around me let alone perform an emergency stop! Once I was able to do that, technically I could have driven with no issues. The second reason however is that, like many insurance policies, I am not insured to drive my car for 6 weeks after major surgery. I would never had thought of this had I not been told!



One of my first trips has been to drive to my hospital to have my first appointment with my consultant since I welcomed Margaret. I did not bring up the fact that they share the same name, which I would like to re-iterate is a complete co-incidnce! 
She was lovely as ever, and went through my symptoms and current medication. It was decided that everything would remain the same for the next three months at which point I may be able to lower my dose of Humira injections. I am currently doing one a week but it would be great to go down to every two weeks again as I am not really a fan...
I also explained to her about my tiredness.
It is one thing I am constantly battling with, today for example I woke up after an 11 hour sleep, went to the hospital for two appointments, came home had lunch and then slept for 3 hours. I had only been awake for four hours but was desperate for more sleep. I have now been awake for four hours and I am seriously flagging. I am finding it hard not to curl up and close my eyes.
It is ridiculous and very frustrating, it makes me very worried when I have to fully get back to 'normal' life, ie: uni, work and placements. 
She decided that I needed some bloods doing to see if I am still anaemic and that we would go from there. 
So off I trotted to the bloods room, took my number and chilled out until it was called. I have always been quite nervous of needles and my veins are known for being a bit of a nightmare! Thanks to this disease I have had to get very used to being poked and jabbed and have pretty much gotten over this fear. I no longer sit there, heart pounding and wanting to cry. As the phlebotomist took my blood she said, "I think I recognise you, are you in here often". Bit awkward when they started recognising you for the amount of time you spend in hospital!

I then had an appointment with my stoma nurse! Who said that Margaret was looking the best she had ever seen! Check her out huh!
She gave me a new type of convex bag (the domed one I showed you a few posts ago) which I have now had on for about 12 hours. So far so good I think! It feels so light and thin that I can't feel it on my skin. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing there. We will see how long this lasts eh!

I have also decided that I am going to really focus on my diet and how well I am eating. I have had my fun for the past six weeks, eating everything and anything I fancied just because I could! But now is about time I began eating healthily again. My lovely friend Emma sent me through some amazing recipes and links to some great sites and I have been testing out some new lunches! The favourite so far is a delicious Mediterranean omelette, which is amazing, so easy to make and full of healthy goodness!

I also got the juicer out from the back of the cupboard and juiced a lot of fruit! The favourite combo being mixed berries and pear. I was nervous about the acidic problem coming back but it wasn't actually too bad. I felt tingling and a bit of stinging but nothing compared to what I experience a few weeks back!






The weather has been amazing where I am, and I have been enjoying getting out there and walking with the family and dogs - often followed by a drink at the local country pub. Bliss! 




I will update you all on my lovely weekend, later on in the week!
Lots of love
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment