Wednesday 8 May 2013

So what have you been up to?

In recent months I have spent a lot of my days at home. The symptoms of the Crohn's as well as the exhaustion that comes with it during a flare means that even if I wanted to escape my house, I would only make it half way down the road before collapsing in a heap.

Luckily some days are much better than others and I have developed a lovely little list of activities that I do on my 'good days'.

1. Baking.
Now I don't mean to brag, but I am the next Mary Berry. I love to bake! On a good day I'll make a big batch of cookies, tray bake or cupcakes, and on a VERY good day I'll pick something new from my Baking Bible. Surprisingly, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so rather than eating it all myself, I instead feed my family. It won't be long before my boyfriend, Matt, needs rolling out the house as he seems to be the main cake scoffer! My proudest baking moment, so far, was making my own loaf of bread. Now, before I started I definitely did not realise how much hard work would have to go in to this little loaf. Word of warning, it is not something you should undertake if you are supposed to be 'taking it easy' or haven't done any exercise in a while, as I in fact pulled every muscle in my arm kneading the bugger. Thankfully, the hard work did pay off and the sticky mess, rose in to a beautiful brown loaf.



2. Walking
I have two of the loveliest doggies, and on good days I head out with my mum or Matt for a lovely walk. One thing I have really missed is exercising, but getting out in the fresh air and having a gentle wander makes all the difference. It helps me clear my head and feel a bit more like a human being, even if I do need a cheeky nap afterwards. 
Here is my favourite woof, Flynny Dog


3. Internet Shopping
The most dangerous kind of shopping of them all. There is something about not actually having to hand over cash or enter my pin that somehow makes spending a whole let easier and definitely guilt free. Now I admit I love to shop at the best of times, but since I have been un well this has been taken to the next level. I tell myself I need cheering up and so it is completely okay to buy more clothes, as it is only a little treat. However, these 'little treats' have built up in to pretty much a whole new wardrobe! I also tell myself that I need a whole new set of clothes every time I intern, and as I have quite a few lined up for my healthier future, I definitely need to keep on shopping...!


4. TV 
I try not to spend endless hours sat in front of the TV but it can't be helped when there are some amazing programs, box sets and films to be seen! I won't bore you with all the details but current favourites include Grey's Anatomy & One Tree Hill, as well as all the MTV classics, The Hills, Teen Mom etc, I Used to be Fat. ooo and the introduction of SKY DISNEY has officially made my year!
OH! And I have the biggest addiction to any hospital related program, One Born Every Minute, 24 Hours in A&E, The NHS in a Day... the list goes on. 
Maybe I do watch a lot more TV than I first thought...


5. Baths
I am admittedly a bit of control freak and a chronic worrier. I wish I was a care free, go with the flow, come what may, whatever happens happens, it'll all turn out for the best, whats meant to be is meant to be kind of person. But in fact even those sayings make me feel a bit nauseous. One thing that I have found that eases my worry and stress is having a bath. The simple act of lying in a hot tub of essential oil goodness has become a permanent fixture in my day. It's an added plus that it also eases a lot of the aches and pains of Crohn's.


Apologies for my rambling today, I have a colonoscopy on Thursday and so today is STARVATION DAY. I am finding anything and everything to distract me. Will post more on this later...

Lots of love x

No comments:

Post a Comment