Friday 13 May 2016

Never stretching again.

Hi everyone,

How are we all doing?

As you know last year I found out my flexible joints weren't just a party trick but a condition called Joint Hyper Mobility Syndrome. Although this comes in handy when doing the limbo, it can also make life pretty annoying. I have recently found it near impossible to stretch off my muscles, especially in my legs. They ache all the time & my ligaments and joints just keep on bending when I try to stretch them off. A few weeks ago, I decided enough was enough and I had a real good stretch. I tried to be careful as I'm super aware of my naughty knees and their need to swell up when I do anything other than a gentle stroll, but I just couldn't help myself.

Sure enough, the following morning my left knee started to give me jip. The arthritis just jumps on the weak joint and causes havoc. I spent two days trying to walk it off, resting it when I could and basically ignoring the problem until I had no choice but to give in. The brace went on, ice & hot water bottles were alternated and I spent days sat resting but my knee continued to swell up until I was no longer able to walk. The crutches had to come out the loft and I was popping codeine to try and stop the constant pain. Luckily, this time round I knew what was going on and knew I wouldn't have the months of hell ahead like last time.

I already had an appointment with my consultant the following week but I rang the hospital arthritis helpline for some advice to get me through the next few days or hopefully bring the appointment forward. They eventually got back to me the following day to tell me there wasn't anyone available to speak to me until after the weekend, when they would call back. By Monday I was thoroughly fed up, the weather had been amazing and I had spent most of the time sat in a chair watching my friends Snapchat their lives at the beach and having picnics. The pain had been particularly bad and more constant than last time. As predicated, the hospital did not call me back but given I had an appointment in place I didn't worry too much and concentrated on getting through the next couple days.

A few days later I hopped (literally) in a taxi and saw a knee Dr who once again aspirated the knee, taking out all of the excess fluid that was causing the swelling. The average knee only has a few ml's of fluid in there but she managed to get a whole pot of yellowy/orange liquid out of my little knee. The procedure wasn't pleasant, in fact, it hurt a lot. Having a needle placed in the side of your knee, under your knee cap, is not fun but the Dr was amazing in keeping me calm and the instant relief once it was done was bliss and 100% worth the discomfort. Within days I am now able to walk again and the swelling has (touch wood) not returned. The Dr agreed that my Crohn's seems stable and that both my arthritis flares have been due to 'exercise' (see gentle stretching) and that I would therefore benefit from having physio and strengthening the muscles in my legs again to try and support the joint. Fingers crossed, once that is sorted I won't have these flares as often!

Next week I am off on a city break to Rome & I could not be more excited! Having to cancel my holiday to Paris last year was absolutely gutting so I was determined to make it this time round and so far things are looking good... Roll on Italia where I will be doubling my body weight in pasta, pizza & gelato!

XXX




1 comment:

  1. It seems like your doctor is on the right track. With my arthritis, I have to make sure that I am careful with even small amounts of exercise. Consider trying the physical therapy so that you can get back to your daily activities- they know the most gentle muscle stretches.

    ReplyDelete